Sunday 22 September 2013

"Oh you've lost enough weight, you can come off the diet now..."

Hello readers,

Firstly I must apologise for not updating in so long - it's been almost two months!  I've been very busy.  For the last seven weeks I've been doing work experience in a local nursing home as part of the Healthcare Support course that I did this year.  I was working Monday to Friday from 7.45am to 4.00pm and I found it very tough work.  My last day was Thursday so I should be updating a bit more regularly from now on.

So, onto the subject of this blog entry.  Dealing with comments.  Last night three different people in the space of literally about a minute told me that I'm "too skinny" and that I have "enough weight lost".  I've worked so hard to get to where I am right now, I'm 17.5lbs away from goal and comments like this really really irritate me!  I laughed it off at the time but

Maybe it's just me but I feel that these comments are negative rather than positive.  I think people think it's perfectly fine to say things like this because they were so used to me being fat and they think I'll take it as a compliment.  Maybe it's jealousy.

I don't see myself as too thin.  I want to get to goal and see how I look and how I feel about myself and if I am too thin I'll be able to do something about it.  If it were me and someone I knew was working as hard as I am to change their life around I wouldn't tell them to stop, I'd encourage them.

I also wish that people would stop calling it a diet.  A diet to me implies that it's a temporary thing.  It's a lifestyle change for me.  I have no intention of putting the weight back on so I'm going to continue eating healthily and getting my exercise.

Well, I suppose that's the end of that little rant.

Starting this week I'm going to a new class.  Unfortunately my own one has been closed down due to low numbers and my leader is also retiring from Weight Watchers.  I feel a little strange about going to a new meeting with a new leader.  Still, I feel like I'm going one step forward and two steps back for the past few weeks.  Maybe a new class and a new leader is exactly what I need to get back on track.  I feel like I'm stuck in a rut or something.  A kick up the arse is what I need!

Well, anyway, that's all I wanted to say.  I'll probably update after my new class on Wednesday.

Onwards and downwards!

J x

4 comments:

  1. Jane, you are doing brilliantly and you look amazing, you do not look ''too skinny''. what a ridiculous comment to make to somebody and so utterly pointless too. As a society i think we have become so used to seeing people who are overweight, even if only slightly, so when we see a person who is thin and healthy we think, oh they are too skinny, because we have forgotten what healthy looks like. When i had lost a stone on weight watchers people were telling me it was enough and i was wasting away, i just smiled and said thank you, but im not done yet and kept going because i knew to be healthy i needed to lose more. Keep going, only you know what is right for you. well done on your weight loss so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Sarah, you're very kind. I think you're right though, we've become to used to people being overweight and people were used to seeing my with an extra 3 stone on me. Now that I think of it, I got comments like that months ago when I had lost a stone. Thanks again for your comment. :)

      Delete
  2. Jane you have done really well so far so don't let them get you down. Only you know what weight suits you. Thankfully I've never got such negative comments. I find it hard to believe there are people out there that would make such comments. No-one asked them and most likely its to do with their own feelings about their weight. It's a pity about the class closing but hopefully your new leader will be nice. Good luck with the new class x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :) I'm quite proud of myself because at one point I didn't think I could do it and I've proved myself wrong. I don't know why people think it's okay tbh. Funnily enough, most of the time it's someone overweight that comments. Fingers crossed the new leader is nice. :)

      Delete